ARSIS participates in the “ESTIA” -the Emergency Support to Integration and Accommodation-program which is implemented by UNHCR in collaboration with the local authorities and NGOs and funded by the European Union Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid (ECHO).
The project provides a temporary accommodation for relocation candidates and vulnerable asylum seekers through the rental of apartments in Athens, Thessaloniki, Samos, Chios, Kos, Leros and Rhodes.
More specifically, Arsis will create 1561 places in total,
– 478 in Athens
– 280 in Thessaloniki and
– 803 in the islands (Samos, Chios, Kos, Leros and Rhodes)
Through daily support mechanisms, beneficiaries were able adjust to the new cultural and social environment, while ensuring decent living conditions and personalized management of needs. These actions also aimed to avoid social isolation, marginalization and combat discrimination and racism.
- ensures that all children are enrolled in primary and secondary schools;
- promotes learning the Greek language;
- ensures access to health care;
- provides information, offers counseling, psychological encouragement (both to families and individuals), accompaniment and mediation during visits to public authorities (tax office, unemployment office etc.);
- offers legal information and counseling;
- facilitates interconnection with other support actors and participation in the city’s social and cultural life.
In addition, all the beneficiaries receive cash cards in order to cover their basic needs such as food, clothing, transportation.
In 2017, ARSIS accommodated 3797 people of concern in apartments (706 in Athens, 478 in Thessaloniki, 2.528 in the islands).